Recipe: “iSi Rapid-Infused Ceviche”
We also promised you recipes! Here is a brilliantly creative recipe for “iSi Rapid-Infused Ceviche”, contributed by our friend Chef Jill Houk . This dish is an exceptionally inventive, yet simple, example of Rapid Infusion put to work. Enjoy this modern twist on a classic light dish, splendid for spring & summer!
iSi Rapid-Infused Ceviche
Contributed by Chef Jill Houk*
Ceviche is a seafood dish that originated in Peru. It’s a combination of raw fish, citrus juice, peppers, and onions. The citrus juice de-natures the proteins in the fish, giving it the texture of cooked fish. Because the fish isn’t actually cooked, it’s essential to use ultra-fresh fish that is kept cold at all times. The iSi Gourmet Whip speeds up how quickly you can get your ceviche to the table. Traditionally, the fish would need to sit in citrus juice for 30 minutes to an hour. Now, you can eat ceviche in minutes, simply by using iSi’s Rapid Infusion method.
0.5L (Pint) iSi Gourmet Whip
1/2 pound firm white fish, such as sea bass, whitefish, tilapia, or mahi mahi
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (the juice of 4-5 limes)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (the juice of 1/2 an orange)
1/4 cup water
1 small serrano pepper or 1/2 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup thinly-sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2-3 large leaves of lettuce
1 sweet potato, peeled, diced and cooked
1) Freeze fish 10-15 minutes to make it easier to cut.
2) Remove from freezer. Remove skin (if necessary) and slice into 1/4-inch thin strips. Cut strips into bite-sized pieces.
3) Place half of fish into iSi Gourmet Whip. Add lime juice, orange juice, water, serrano, and onion. Screw the head firmly onto iSi Gourmet Whip.
4) Insert an iSi cream charger into charger holder and screw onto the iSi Gourmet Whip to release the gas into the Whipper.
5) Remove the charger and discard (or, recycle!). Cover the decorator tip with a cup (to capture spray) and, in an upright position, press the lever of the iSi Gourmet Whip to release all of the pressurized gas inside, and remove the Whipper head.
6) Strain fish mixture over a bowl through an iSi funnel & sieve or fine chinois. Set marinated fish aside.
7) Return marinade to iSi Gourmet Whip. Add remaining fish. Screw the head onto Gourmet Whip.
8) Insert an iSi cream charger into charger holder and screw onto the iSi Gourmet Whip to release the gas into the Whipper.
9) Remove the charger and discard (or, recycle!). Cover the decorator tip with a cup (to capture spray) and, in an upright position, press the lever of the iSi Gourmet Whip to release all of the pressurized gas inside, and remove the Whipper head.
10) Transfer contents of the iSi Gourmet Whip into a bowl and add the fish which was set aside in step 5. Sprinkle with salt.
11) Line plate with lettuce. Top with marinated fish. Garnish with sweet potatoes and serve immediately.
*Chef Jill Houk is also the author of “The Complete Soda Making Book”, which features over 100 creative recipes to make your own artisanal sodas at home. Jill’s book mentions our iSi Soda Siphon as an option for creating bubbly beverages!